23 February 2004

Anybody but Bush

Well, it is official. I had been waiting for Ralph Nader to announce that he was going to join the election race again. And now he has.

Now I am a (unofficial) member of the Anybody but Bush in 2004 Campaign, but I have serious reservations about Nader, especially since the fiasco of the 2000 election, which I believe was directly affected by Nader's campaign and the support he received from the populace. I don't exactly blame the people that voted for Nader last time. I mean, there really was very little difference between Bush and Gore. However, if it weren't for those who voted for Nader, Gore would have had no difficulty proving that he actually won the presidency. And if Gore were in the White House today, even after the disaster of September 11, I don't think there would be such an assault on fundamental American rights and civil liberties.

As for my election behavior in 2000, I supported the Libertarians. In fact, I voted almost a straight Libertarian ticket. In every race except the big one (president), I voted for them and I even seriously considered voting for their presidential candidate Harry Browne. But with the presidential race so close, I knew that any vote NOT for Gore was one FOR Bush. So, even though I had some serious misgivings about Gore, it was he that got my vote. And this time around, I feel even stronger in my anti-Bush sentiment. So, while I identify with the Libertarian philosophy, what is more important to me is getting Bush out of the White House.

Sure, I currently live on the other side of the Atlantic, and you might ask why I care one way or another. But living over here has given me a better perspective on the United States and its relationship to the world. The world is linked like never before and how the United States is perceived by and how we act toward the rest of the world is hugely important. There has been much hype about this whole "Anti-American" movement, but in truth people here are not so much "Anti-American" as they are "Anti-Bush."

... And besides, I just think Bush is a moron.

No comments: