12 February 2004

The Case of the Missing Laundry Detergent

I just went downstairs to do a load of laundry and found that my laundry detergent is MIA. How odd!

Here in our apartment building we have a laundry room, but I must mention that it is different than any laundry room in any apartment building or complex in the US. Here you install your own washer and dryer in the laundry room and in order to make sure the creepy guy next door doesn't use your machine, the outlet is equipped with a lock. However, this doesn't preclude someone from stealing your machines, but I guess since everyone in the building has their own machines anyway, it isn't an issue.

Honestly, I must admit I was a little nervous with this system at first. If such a system existed in any apartment building in the US where I have lived, my washer and dryer would have been stolen, so I guess I should be happy that only my detergent has gone missing.

Anyway, every time you do laundry you unlock your outlet, plug in your machine, turn on your water, and you are good to go. And almost everyone leaves their laundry detergent on top of their machines. I have done so for almost two years with no problems... until today.

The odd thing is that I just did a load of laundry yesterday afternoon and my detergent was there then. I guess sometime in the night either a.) the detergent was unhappy in the cold basement and grew legs and walked away or b.) someone stole it. Hmmm...

No comments: