21 February 2004

Cat Wash!

Scooter is my 8 year old cat and he gets habitually gets dandruff near the base of his tail. Poor baby! He seems to just be a kitty with dry skin and in the wintertime it is worse than at any other time of the year. I brush him frequently, but sometimes the dandruff gets so bad he just needs a bath. Lately, his dandruff seems to have gotten worse, so I decided that today was bath day.

Some people may think that it is not possible to bathe a cat. Out of my three cats, I would agree that it would be impossible to bathe two of the three, but Scooter is different. He is a very mellow kitty and he lets me do just about anything to him. In addition, I have been bathing him 2-4 times a year since he was a kitten, so he is sort of used to it.

After brushing him thoroughly, it's time for the shower. Luckily, I have a movable shower head and can adjust the water pressure, so overall, bathing Scooter is relatively easy. And afterwards, he looks like a brand new cat!

Now, in case you are interested in giving your cat a bath, here are some pointers:
  1. DO NOT get his head wet
  2. DO NOT dunk him into a full tub of water
  3. Use warm (tepid) water
  4. Talk to him in a soothing voice
  5. Rinse well... He will, without doubt, give himself a bath when you are finished. DO NOT leave soap in his fur, as in the end he will ingest it.
  6. Dry thoroughly with a towel, DO NOT use a hair dryer!

No comments: