26 January 2004

The State of Pillows in Germany

When we got ready to move to Germany, I made sure that I packed all of the pillows that I had... I sleep with 3. However, my husband's pillows were old and nasty, so we got rid of them with the intention of buying new ones when we arrived here. Well, let me tell you.... BIG mistake.

We go out looking for normal pillows... approximately 26" x 17" (give or take a bit), which translates to about 66 x 43 centimeters (ah, the metric system, but that is another blog topic), but do we find them? Hell no! What we find are either very small (like the size of a little kid's head) rectangular pillows, these long "sausage pillows" that are 70 x 30 centimeters or these huge 80 x 80 centimeter things that are called "Kopf Kissen", which translates to "Head Pillow!" What the?! Who has that big of a head?

Well, at first we bought him a "sausage pillow;" it seemed to be the closest to the American pillow, but when he laid in the middle of it, the sides of it wrapped around his head. So, then we bought him a "Kopf Kissen" which he has managed to wad up so it is approximately the size of an American pillow.

However, I have been made to promise that the next time we go back to the US to visit my family, we will go to Sears or Target or somewhere and buy him a couple of "real pillows!"

No comments: