27 August 2004

Blast from the Past

This morning, I was greeted by something very odd in my email inbox.

Out of the blue, I got an email from this dude that I hung out with twelve years ago! It was a good thing that I was sitting down, because if I hadn't been I probably would have fallen down!

Turns out, he still hangs out with the same people we did then and, coincidentally, my cousin married one of those dudes. I guess that is how he got my email address. I will confess that I did go out on a date or two with him, but it never developed into anything more than friendship.

When I was getting ready to go to college, I pretty much severed ties with those people. I think the last time I saw him was about ten years ago when he was dating a (fair-weather) friend of mine. I wish I was still in touch with her, because I would love to rub her nose in the fact that after all this time he dropped ME (not her!) an email! ha ha ha ha...

He was always a pretty pessimistic person, so the email mostly detailed how horribly his life has turned out, but he did say congratulations on my marriage.

I think I will be nice and reply to him, but damn! What am I going to say after ten years? So much has happened to me in that time, he might recognize me on sight, but otherwise I doubt he would recognize the person I have become.

No comments: