02 August 2004

Delicate Dragonflies

Today I finished my latest cross-stitch piece. It is called "Delicate Dragonflies."

"Delicate Dragonflies" Log:

Start Date: July 19, 2004
Finish Date: August 2, 2004
Stitch Time: 8 Days and approximately 30 hours

Remarks:
  • "Delicate Dragonflies" is a Dimensions Kit that I bought in 2002. It is sewn on 14 count printed Aida cloth.
  • It was necessary to soak the fabric beforehand because it was too stiff to put in my hoop. Perhaps the fabric had too much starch...
  • One of the interesting features of this piece is that except for the white in the flower, it is stitched using only one strand of floss. (Normally I sew 14 count with 2 or 3 strands) I think this gives the piece a soft and delicate look, almost like it has been painted instead of stitched.
  • I quickly learned that one has to be careful when stitching with only one strand of floss because it breaks very easily if pulled too tight.
  • A smaller needle went through the fabric easier, but the eye was too small and frayed the floss. After breaking 3 or 4 threads, I returned to my regular needle.
  • I found this piece difficult to backstitch, because it required lots of long stitches, which I am not too comfortable with.
  • As I was backstitching I was afraid I wouldn't be happy with it. However, when viewed from a distance, I think the piece looks very nice.
  • The Chinese Symbols in the top right corner are "Wind" and "Sky."


Delicate Dragonflies
© blondelibrarian

No comments: