29 August 2004

The Cat in the Mirror

Harley was sitting in her favorite spot this morning and suddenly became very interested in something across the room. I didn't see a fly or spider, so I wondered what had caught her attention. Before I could investigate, she jumped up and ran over to the TV where she began to intently examine the kitty that was there. She wasn't seeing cats on TV, as the television was off, but her own reflection.

As she peered into the television and occasionally pawed at the "other kitty," I started to think about animals, cats, and their "sense of selves." The "sense of self" has many levels, and the one that I was thinking about was an animal's ability to recognize him/herself, most frequently, in the mirror. Scientists believe that some animals, like chimps, are capable of self recognition. Yet, most scientists claim that animals like cats and dogs, while capable of feeling primary emotions, don't have a sense of self recognition. Whether or not I believe that, I am not sure.

Once we had a dog who always growled at herself in the mirror, but by contrast, my cats stopped being interested in the "other kitties" in the mirror long ago. Is it because they recognize themselves, have accepted the "cat" in the mirror as part of our family, or is it just because since the reflected cat is not a threat they find it inconsequential and ignore it? Maybe I am biased and see human qualities in my cats that really aren't there, but I would like to believe it is because they recognize themselves.

Of course, that brings me back to Harley and the TV. She never gives her reflection a second glance in the full-length mirror in the bedroom, so if she recognizes herself, why did she paw at her TV reflection? It was the first time I have ever noticed her doing that. Was she actually aware that it was her reflection and was just pawing at it to entertain herself? I'd like to think so!

No comments: