17 August 2004

Iowa State Fair Memories

Yesterday, I read an article in USA Today about the Iowa State Fair.

Being a native Iowan, I couldn't help but remember all the times I visited the State Fair in the 23 years that I lived there. I don't think I went every year, but I estimate that I went for at least one day no less than fifteen of those years. In fact, it wasn't until I moved away from Iowa that I found out that not every state has an annual celebration like the Iowa State Fair. This year is special though because the Iowa State Fair is celebrating its sesquicentennial and after 150 years, it is "Still the One."

Whether or you were born there or not, if you live in Iowa, it is almost certain that you will spend a mimimum of one day during ten days in August at the State Fair... usually the hottest and most humid days of the year. Not only is it a rite of passage, it is one of the three biggest events in Iowa throughout the year. (The other two are the State Basketball Tournament and the State Wrestling Tournament.)

Like many rural Iowa kids, when I was old enough (i.e. 9 years old) I joined 4-H and spent all year dreaming up projects that would not only receive a blue ribbon, but would be good enough to attain the honor of a place at the State Fair. Since my family didn't raise livestock, my projects were of the home economics and visual art types. More than once during my six or seven year tenure in 4-H my projects went to the State Fair, and of course, I went along with them.

In those years I ate many bizarre foods on sticks, saw several butter sculptures, and attended numerous wood chopping contests. I remember the year the bungee jump was introduced to the Fair and betting amongst my friends who would be the first one crazy enough to try it. (Note: It was NOT me!) I saw Metallica at the State Fair and got both my tattoos there.

When I lived in Des Moines, I had friends who lived near the fairgrounds and every year they made a tidy profit charging people $5.00 to park in their yard. I remember the first year I was old enough to visit the beer tent, even though I don't remember how I got home that night. I spent plenty of time in the Midway and more than one ex-boyfriend spent plenty of dough trying to win me a stuffed animal there.

Eventually each State Fair blends into another and the excitement you had as a kid wears off, but that doesn't keep you from paying the admission fee each year and checking out the butter cow while eating fried cheese curds on a stick.

* * * * *

Now Playing: "A Lap Dance is so Much Better when the Stripper is Cryin' " - The Bloodhound Gang

No comments: