19 October 2004

An Endangered Species?

Rumor has it that I am an endangered species. "What?!" you say, "How can you be an endangered species?" There are over 200 million Americans and the population is growing every day. It is true that the number of people who are of European decent is declining, but they are far from being an endangered species. So how can I, an American of European decent possibly be an endangered species? The answer is simple: I am a natural blonde.

According to this article from the BBC, "a study by experts in Germany suggests people with blonde hair are an endangered species and will become extinct by 2202." While I admit that this startling statement is a little bit unsettling, it also makes me feel special. Could it be that I am soon to be on the list next to the giant panda, the bottle-nosed dolphin, and the bald eagle? What sort of rights should I demand as an endangered species? How can I ensure that my kind and my habitat are protected? A whole new world of activism could open up for me...

On the other hand though, Professor Jonathan Rees claims it is unlikely that blondes would die out completely. While natural blondes could argue that we are being threatened by chemical pollutants and an invasive species - the unnatural blonde - unlike the giant panda, bottle-nosed dolphin, or bald eagle, blondes are not really threatened by a loss of habitat. Our disadvantage comes from the fact that blonde is a recessive gene.

Therefore, according to Professor Rees, "[t]he only reason blondes would disappear is if having the gene was a disadvantage" and most would say that is not the case. After all, there are a lot of advantages in being a natural blonde: Sayings like "Gentlemen prefer blondes" or that "Blondes have more fun" and celebrities like Pamela Anderson, Britney Spears, or Marilyn Monroe show that even though Western society labels us with a lot of negative stereotypes, a good number of people think looking like us is beneficial.

Natural blondes are victims of accepted discrimination. It is painful and demanding to be an intelligent blonde and have to fight against negative stereotypes every day. I put on a brave face and accept the challenges and paradoxes of being naturally blonde, but I would be lying if I said that I hadn't thought about how my life would be different if I wasn't a blonde: Would people take me more seriously? Would people still question my intelligence? Would people continue to make assumptions about my sexuality based on my hair color?

The blonde gene may be recessive, but if the blonde personality wasn't dominant we would avoid the problem by going brunette. So while I may not be at immediate risk of extinction, I would love to do something to endanger all those unnatural blondes out there! ;)

No comments: