15 October 2004

Pizza Delivery

Oh, what I wouldn't give for Domino's 30 minute pizza delivery service right about now!

We weren't hungry at our usual dinner time tonight, so we decided to watch a movie before dinner. We just bought the special edition of The Day After Tomorrow, so not only did we watch it, but also the one hour documentary on climate change that came with it. It is now approximately 9:30 and I told A. it is too late for me to cook. I suggested cheese and crackers. He suggested pizza.

Pizza is a good idea, but we will have to go up the block to the Italian place and order it and then bring it home or eat it there. And I am enjoying a lazy Friday night at home and don't really want to do that. I want it delivered!

That, I think, is the main difference between Italian pizza and American pizza. You can order an American pizza and have it delivered and when it arrives (the majority of the time at least) it is still OK. It is still warm, the crust isn't hard, and it still tastes like pizza.

Not so for Italian pizza. The pizza from the Italian restaurants here has thin crust and usually cooked in a traditional stone oven. Because of this, while is possible to call ahead and order it to go or have it delivered, I don't recommend it. Italian pizza is best when retrieved from the oven and eaten immediately. If not, it gets cold, the cheese starts to taste funny, and the crust gets hard.

Of course, I don't necessarily have to go. I could just send A. out with my order and have him bring it back... Hmm... Now there's an idea! ** sly grin **

No comments: