20 April 2004

A Bra Story

Most women will agree that bra-shopping is one of the most horrendous events that we must endure. This is doubly true if you happen to be (as I am) well-endowed but not fat. This means that though I need a D-cup, my torso is not that big around and so finding a bra that properly fits me is, at best, a chore.

This is because for some strange reason bra-manufacturers seem to be under the mistaken impression that someone who wears a D-cup must also be a portly woman who is satisfied with an ugly-ass battle bra that has no underwire and no lining. Given the fact that I am not happy with the afore-mentioned attributes in a bra and that I had not yet shopped for a bra in Germany, yesterday's bra-shopping trip can only be compared to going to the dentist... I was dreading it that much.

My first assignment was to try and figure out what German bra size I wear. However, I got lucky as the bras that I looked at had "International" sizes printed on them. (Whether I find any comfort now in saying I wear an 80D as opposed to a 36D is still up in the air.) After learning my correct German size, I spent some time looking for "80s" in the cute bra section, but as I feared none of them came in a D-cup. Therefore, I consented to a quick browse through the battle-bra section.

As usual, there were rows of bras with no underwire, no lining, all white, and with 3-clasp backs. I was about to give up and give my mom a call asking her to send me as many new bras from the brand that I have worn for some years now as she could afford, when divine intervention happened.

I saw in the corner between the cute bra section and the battle-bra section a rack of bras that appeared to have underwire and came in multiple colors. Full of hope, I approached the rack. Yes, they had underwire and a lining. I looked and saw the sizes... 75, 80, 85, 90. Things were looking promising. Then I glanced at the cups, B, C, and... YES!!! D!! Now were there 80Ds? I couldn't believe it, not only was there an 80D, there were multiple 80Ds and in different colors even! But I couldn't let my excitement get the best of me. They had not yet passed the final test... Would they fit? And if so, and even more important, would I LIKE the way they fit?

To sum the story up, yes, they did fit and what's more, I liked the way they fit, so I bought three.

No comments: