08 April 2004

R.I.P. Kurt

Today marks the 10th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death.

I have never been a die hard Nirvana fan. I now have four of their albums and appreciate the band for how it changed the face of rock music in the early 90s. However, as I have mentioned before, I am also a "hair band" fan and honestly, when Nevermind hit the music stores, it in effect killed the hair band scene. I didn't take to that too kindly and in fact boycotted Nirvana until my sophomore year of college (which incidentally also happened to be the year Kurt Cobain shot himself).

By late 1993, I had evolved from the hair bands to hard rock acts like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and co. I thought since I liked these groups maybe I should give Nirvana a second chance. However, I had yet to buy a Nirvana album when I heard on our college radio station on April 8, 1994, that Kurt Cobain killed himself. I knew the guy had problems and thought it was too bad. I also realized that he had now joined the ranks of Jim Morrison, Buddy Holly, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, and the like. Another rock musician immortalized not only for his music, but also for dying too young.

No comments: