22 April 2004

Nude Sunbathing in the English Garden

Today was a perfect day for a stroll in Europe's largest municipal park, the English Garden. It was about 20 degrees Celsius (approximately 70 Fahrenheit) and sunny. In the shade, no jacket was needed and in the sun, even less clothing was required. In fact, you might say that on a warm spring day in the English Garden, clothes are optional!

I had, of course, heard about the nude sunbathers in the English Garden, but had never actually seen them until today. As I aimlessly strolled along shooting pictures with my new camera, I suddenly noticed that most of the people lying in the grass (and even a few playing Frisbee) were completely nude. At that moment I realized that I had made my way to the nude sunbathing area. Out of respect for the people sunbathing there, I took no pictures in the nude sunbathing area, but let me tell you it was refreshing to see so many people completely unconcerned about showing their bodies the way that Nature intended. What a perfect way to celebrate Earth Day! :)

I was not shocked by any means. First of all, I knew that nude sunbathers frequented the park. And second, I remember when I lived in Paris, I would see topless sunbathers on the banks of the Seine on a regular basis. However, nudity in America is such a taboo on so many levels that I am not sure if I will ever get used to the casual European attitude concerning nudity.

Personally, I am not sure if I could sunbathe nude or not. I am not ashamed of my body by any means, but I will admit to being a little shy. And when you're naked you are just so... exposed! In addition, there are parts of my body that have never seen the sun and with my fair skin I imagine someone would end up blind because of its reflection or I would get such a sunburn that I would look like a lobster!

Budding trees, blooming flowers, warm sunny weather, and nude sunbathers... a sure sign spring has sprung in Munich!

P.S. I will post the photos (sorry, no nude sunbathers) in my photo gallery.

No comments: