10 May 2004

blondelibrarian on books #2

I finished A Thousand Acres yesterday. Now, I know I promised a book review but after I thought about it, I remembered that I am not really very good at writing book reviews.

Actually, I find this kind of amusing since I majored in literature as an undergrad and have worked as a librarian for many years. But I really suck at writing book reviews. I can write a lovely plot summary or a deep essay comparing and contrasting A Thousand Acres with King Lear, but a simple book review, forget it!

I can't write a book review for two reasons: 1.) In a fiction book review you really aren't supposed to give away the ending and I always do and 2.) The thoughts I have while reading a book and the days afterwards aren't really review-material. I tend to ask myself lots of questions about the plot, the characters, and their motives, and while trying to answer these questions, I also ponder what the books means to me, but I always find it difficult to form a solid opinion on a book that I want to share with others.

Of course I form an opinion on a book and can tell you what I personally thought about it, but in truth, I am reluctant to dump my recommendations on others. The fact is not everyone likes reading the same things that I do and because of this, whether they find a book worthy or not is a very personal decision.

Take the book Angela's Ashes for example: This book won all sorts of awards in 1996, including the Pulitzer Prize and was on the New York Times Bestseller List. Many people considered it a "must read." My well-meaning aunt bought it for me for Christmas and after I read the back of the book, it sat on my bookshelf until one day I was desperate for something to read. I read it in one sitting and my first reaction was, "Yuck. I really didn't like this book." And then, "So, what was the fuss all about?" Personally, I didn't really even think the book was all that well-written. But who am I to tell someone else that this book isn't worth reading? Obviously, other people have enjoyed it and thought it award-winning... but me, I sold it the first chance I got after I read it.

I have always been a member of the literature school that promotes reading what you want and thinking what you want about it. As far as A Thousand Acres goes, I enjoyed reading this complicated book full of plot twists and Shakespearean-style tragedy and if you enjoy that sort of thing, I would definitely recommend it. However, if you don't, then I would say don't read it. It's all up to you.

No comments: