24 May 2004

Burger King Embarrassment

Picture it: Friday, 11:30 a.m., Munich Hauptbahnhof, Burger King

I was scheduled to meet someone outside Burger King at 11:30 a.m., but was a few minutes early so I decided to pop into the fast food joint and grab a Coke.

After nervously standing in line (I was afraid I might miss the person I was meeting) for what seemed like an Eternity, but in actuality was probably only a couple of minutes, I reached the counter and placed my order: a small Coke with ice - total 99¢. As the Burger King chick sat my Coke in front of me and told me the price, I looked in my wallet and lo and behold I only had a 20 cent Euro coin and a couple of 5, 2, and 1¢ coins. In total, about 38¢. I checked the cash pocket and it was empty. Suddenly I remembered that I had put my cash in my coat pocket (but not the one I was wearing) the day before.

My reaction was, spoken aloud and in English, "Shit! I don't have any money." Then remembering I was in Germany, "Tut mir Leid, ich habe kein Geld." (Sorry, I have no money.) Without so much as a second glance a my Coke with ice, I high-tailed it outta there.

No comments: