31 May 2004

The Death of the Johnny Jump-ups

As my regular readers know, I have been trying to grow Johnny Jump-ups for the last 2½ months. Overall, they have done very well and I am proud to say that I have not killed them.

However...

I noticed about a week ago that one of the four plants was shorter than the other three and upon closer investigation found that the leaves were getting scraggly and beginning to yellow. A little sad at the thought I was losing one of my plants, I went out and did a little research. I learned that Johnny Jump-ups are cool weather flowers. This means when the weather heats up, the flowers naturally begin to wilt and by July they have finished their growing season.

Being that is June, I guess it is natural that they should begin to fade away. However, according to my mother, who is a real gardener, even if they finish blooming now they may come back in the fall.

In general, I'm very pleased with the success I have had with my Johnny Jump-ups this spring. Plus, my geraniums are starting to look really good. I may not yet have a green thumb, but perhaps it is not as black as I had thought...

No comments: