13 May 2004

Tasty Cream of Broccoli Soup

I am a carnivore and unashamed of it. I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat grass! Seriously, I can count all of the vegtables I like on one hand...

Broccoli happens to one of the those vegtables, and one of my favorite broccoli dishes is Cream of Broccoli Soup. I used to buy some seasoning mix for it when I lived in the U.S., but have never found it here. But today is kind of cold and rainy and when I was out walking about, I decided I wanted some Cream of Broccoli Soup. When I got home, I pulled out my three favorite cook books, The Joy of Cooking, The Complete Pilsbury Cook Book, and The Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book and started thinking about how exactly I was going to make the soup. Each cook book has its own recipe for Cream of Broccoli Soup and through combining what I thought sounded good and leaving out what I didn't from all three, I created my own Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe, which I found to be so tasty that I am going to share it:

Tasty Cream of Broccoli Soup:

Combine and heat:
1 ½ cups Water
1 ½ teaspoons Chicken Bullion
2 Tablespoons Butter

While heating, add: **
Minced Onion (to taste)
Garlic Powder (to taste)
Thyme (to taste)
Parsely (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
1 ½ Tablespoons Flour

Bring to a boil.

Add 400ml, or approximately 1 ½ cup, Cream.

Bring to a boil over medium heat.

Add 300 grams, or approximately 2-3 cups Broccoli. (I use only the flowerettes) Stir and simmer until Broccoli is tender.

Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with crackers or croutons.

That's all there is to it. Enjoy! :)


**A word about seasoning:**
I am a big fan of tasting your food as you go along and seasoning it accordingly. However, if you MUST have measurements, try 1 teaspoon of the onion and garlic, ½ teaspoon of the thyme and parsley, and a dash of pepper.

No comments: