12 May 2004

Soap Bubbles

One of my guilty pleasures here in Germany is watching on a semi-regular basis The Bold and the Beautiful. I know it is cheesy, but The Bold and the Beautiful has always been one of my favorite soaps and I was delighted to learn that it runs here in Germany.

It is dubbed into German and I find it extremely easy to understand. (Incidentally, I have greatly improved my German vocabulary relating to sex, betrayal, romance, and the like...) The funny part is, when I found it on TV here and started watching it, they were running episodes from almost exactly where I stopped watching it in 1999. It was like I never left! The few episodes that I missed I was easily able to catch up on, because believe it or not, there is a Bold and the Beautiful Archive out on the Web. At that point the story lines of my favorite characters were quite good and I hated to stop watching, but alas! I had to start working.

** Warning! Trivial blabbering about the soap opera's plot from 1999/2000 follows. If you aren't interested in that kind of stuff, return to the main page.**

Anyway, those story lines have played themselves out and now the story lines are terrible and only partially relate to my favorite characters. And that is what I would like to bitch about. These awful story lines!

The first story line is indirectly related to my favorite character, Amber. The long story short is Amber's cousin, Becky, has cancer and is going to die. (I guess "Becky's" contract must be up.) Posing as Becky, Amber found out Becky had cancer... but here is the stupid part... Amber can't bring herself to tell Becky that she has cancer! Becky feels and looks shittier every day, but thinks there is nothing wrong! Hello! I know it is a soap and everything, but who in their right mind would keep something like this from someone they claim to love? Grr! Luckily, according to the archives, this story line is almost over. Thank God!

The second story line is just as stupid. Morgan, who I suspected from the beginning was the new "crazy" character, had an abortion many years ago. Now she wants to have a baby and decided to go with invetro (sp?) fertilization. However, she keeps having abortion nightmares and flashbacks. So when she goes to get the process done, she freaks out in the doctor's office because it reminds her of the abortion. I will admit I don't like Morgan's character, but here is my question. In all the years since the abortion has she never been to the gynecologist? I just find the whole freaking out in the doctor's office plain stupid! And according to the archives this story line is going to go on for some time... the silver lining is, yes I was right, Morgan is the new "crazy" character! What would a soap be without one?

Anyway, even though the story lines currently stink, I will probably continue to watch it until I find a job or have some other conflict, because I just love it!

No comments: