20 May 2004

Holiday at Tegernsee

Today is Christi Himmelfart (Ascension) and of course a holiday here in Germany! Since I am not now, nor have I ever been religious in any shape or form, I had no idea that this holiday/festival even existed until I came to Germany and even then I had to read up on it to figure out what the heck it is anyway! But that isn't what is important today anyway...

Since it was a holiday today, A. had the day off from work. It was beautiful here today: warm, sunny, everything you could ask for May weather. So we decided to take a little day trip to one of our favorite places in the area: Tegernsee. (Visit the official Tegernsee site - in German, but nice pictures)


photo by blondelibrarian's husband


First we did a little sunbathing, then we stopped in a local museum that is dedicated to Olaf Gulbransson, after that we got some ice cream (mine was strawberry and kiwi, yum!), and finally we walked along the south end of the lake, where we came upon a local celebration complete with a Bavarian band playing Bavarian music and (I kid you not) yodeling!

All in all it was a fine way to spend a free day in May.

No comments: