11 July 2004

1200 Years!

Today, in the cold and rain, along with our neighbor lady, A. and I went to a parade that opened week-long festivites celebrating the 1200th (yes, one thousand two hundred!) anniversary of our little village.

The parade was fun. I got to see all sorts of townspeople dressed up in traditional Bavarian clothing. Many of the floats highlighted the things in the town's history. For example: There was a float celebrating the first school house and one celebrating the church. There were also lots people celebrating different jobs: the farmers, the fishermen, the peat workers, and the seamstresses.

I took loads of pictures and will be uploading them into my photo gallery eventually. During a small break because of the rain, the float that had the seamstresses on it stopped right in front of me, so I got a pretty good picture of this little old lady sitting at an old-fashioned pedal sewing machine.

The following text is in Bavarian and obviously has something to do with sewing. If there is anybody out there who knows Bavarian, what the heck does this say anyway? (The complete text is from another photo I took, but isn't quite so clear.)

Seamstress
photo by blondelibrarian

"Die Näherin ist auf da "Stear" heut do in da Stubn fangt sie scho s'zuaschneidn o da Muadda nähts a Kirchagwand de Kinda brauchan allerhand do warn no a paar schöne Fleckerl des wird fürs Dirndl no a Röckerl ja s'Geld is knapp es leid net (lost word) a Hosn braucht da Bua für d' (lost word) an Schawa griagt da Vadda (lost word) und die Näherin 4 Mark Tageslohn.

Beyond the obvious that I know I understand, I also understand (I think) the following words: Die Näherin - the seamstress; Muadda - mother?; Vadda - father?; zuaschneidn - to cut?; Kinda - children; brauchan - to need; Hosn - pants; 4 Mark Tageslohn - 4 Marks day's wage

No comments: