05 July 2004

Patriotism vs. Nationalism

In my last post I wrote, "While patriotism simply means the love of one's county, I think these days in America it has much more to do with feelings of superiority."

However, it has come to my attention that with this comment I was perhaps blending two distinct concepts, patriotism and nationalism, together and sending a confusing message. What I was trying to highlight with this comment is that these days I believe many Americans are taking their feelings of superiority, or perhaps more precisely nationalism, and unfairly slapping the term patriotism on them.

Patriotism means the love of one's country and of course one can be patriotic without feeling superior. Every 4th of July Americans celebrate not only their independence, but the love of their country and their pride at being American. People cry during the National Anthem not only because it is a song with a beautiful melody, but because it has a powerful message.

Nationalism means devotion to national interests, unity, and independence and by stating that, it is obvious that nationalism can have both positive and negative connotations. Nationalism keeps America united and helps give Americans their identity. However, nationalism can also give people a selfish view of the world and foster feelings of superiority. When hidden under the disguise of patriotism, it is this mind-set that sometimes makes me reluctant to admit that I am an American.

When I read about the Supreme Court upholding the First Amendment, I am proud to be an American. I love my country for the belief that in America with enough determination you can be anything you want to be. I am so thankful that I grew up in a country where women have the right to vote and girls have the right to an education and a career. Hearing the National Anthem makes me reflect on these things and if tears come to my eyes I guess it is because in that moment I am feeling patriotic.

No comments: