31 July 2004

Cologne/Köln

We have returned from a trip to Cologne. Here is a summary:

We left Munich about 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon. We were hoping to avoid holiday and rush hour traffic. We were making really good time until we got caught for nearly three (3) hours in a 20 km (12.5 mile) traffic jam! For any American who has ever dreamed of driving on the speed limitless German Autobahn, let me tell you, even in Germany most of the time it is still a dream.

Since we were staying with the in-laws we took all three cats with us. They are well-traveled and made the trip up with no problems and only a little crying by Scooter. On the way back, Mouse had an upset tummy and managed to puke in her carrier, but it was minor in comparison to some of her hairballs.

Wednesday was hang out with the in-laws day. A.'s mother and I seem to getting along a little better every time we visit. A while back A. mentioned to her that I wanted a sewing machine, but hadn't bought one because I didn't really know too much about them. So, while I was there we began discussing sewing machines and after she gave me a crash-course with hers, she took me shopping and bought me one! I can't wait to make some pillows!

Sometime on Tuesday between loading the car and reaching our destination I cracked the face of my Fossil watch. I have had that watch for almost 5 years and damn! I really loved that watch! My mother-in-law noticed that it was cracked and while we were out shopping she also bought me a new watch... A Swatch!

At first I thought, a Swatch? Isn't that a little 80s?! But this one doesn't look like a cheesy one out of The Breakfast Club or anything. First, it is a man's watch. I only buy men's watches. I hate women's watches. They are so small I have to squint to tell the time. Second, it is black and silver, just like I like, and has a red star at the 12. My mother-in-law was teasing me about the red "commie star" and then when I examined it a little closer I discovered it is a James Bond Secret Spy Watch! It has 007 and From Russia with Love on the band! I love it! It has everything a secret spy watch should: the commie star, the date, and it even glows in the dark! :)

Thursday was our day to visit Cologne. We planned three things: a visit to the Dom, a stop at Boutique 4711 where they make the famous "Eau de Cologne," and a visit to the chocolate museum... yum! That update later....

No comments: