10 September 2004

Busy as a Bee

This afternoon I decided to play Gertrude Gardener. A couple of days ago I bought some pansies at the flower shop and decided I needed to plant them.

Unfortunately for the sweet little pansies, the "Curse of the Black Thumb" very nearly struck again. When I went outside two of the three flowers were visibly wilted. I watered them the other day, but forgot to do so yesterday. I was afraid that I had killed them already.

So, instead of planting them in the window box as I had planned, I planted the one that still looked OK in a little pot. I watered the other two and put them in the shade. I think that by tomorrow they will either perk back up (if so, I will replant them) or be dead (in which case I will get rid of them). I did that about three hours ago and now as I glance at them I have strong hopes that they will survive.

As I was fiddling with the pansies, I also decided to empty the pots that had my geraniums in them. I didn't do so hot with my geranium experiment. I didn't out and out kill them, but a bad storm whipped them around pretty bad a while back and hurt the stems. They never really recovered from that. In addition, I hadn't been watering them and taking care of them the last month or so as I should have been because it was hot.

In fact, around mid July I had a flower epiphany: I came to the conclusion that I am a spring and fall flower girl. I love to play with flowers in the spring and fall when it is cool outside, but once it gets hot... I don't want to be outside and always manage to not water them enough. I don't do it on purpose, but I guess subconsciously I am trying to kill them so I don't have to be outside.

So, since the geranium pots were empty, I then decided to repot this tree that I have. I think I have mentioned my tree before. It is about 2 feet high and in addition to leaves, it has these fuzzy red fronds. I bought it about 2 years ago from the local florist. At the time she told me what it was, but I didn't understand enough German then to figure out what she was saying. Since it looks like it belongs on another world, we just call it my "Alien Tree."

A. had told me not to repot it because it will just grow, but I couldn't resist. I know it will get bigger now, but I told myself that this will be its last pot (hmm... we'll see about that!) Here is a picture of it in its new pot. No, it doesn't have two stems... there is a stick holding it up because it is too tall for its skinny trunk.

Alien Tree
photo by blondelibrarian

By the way, if anyone knows what the heck this thing is, could you please let me know? :)

No comments: