15 September 2004

Confessions of a Coke Addict

They say the first step in solving a problem is to admit that you have one:

So, here goes... My name is the blondelibrarian and I am addicted to Coke. How addicted I am to that sweet, bubbly, brown, cola-flavored liquid that I jokingly refer to as "Liquid Gold" I never fully realized until I decided to stop.

First let's get one thing straight: I do not now, nor have I ever been able to drink Diet Coke. It just doesn't taste like the "real thing" in my opinion. People have told me to keep drinking it because I will get used to it, but I just can't. My Diet Coke experiment lasted all of three days. I don't care what you say. It DOES NOT taste like Coke... just NutraSweet!

Second of all, while I can drink Pepsi, RC, or even a Jolt Cola in times of desperation, I choose Coke. I once did the (in)famous "Pepsi Challenge" and I chose Coke. The people doing the whole thing were so rude about it too: They wouldn't even give me the rest of the Coke when I asked for it!

I used to drink a lot of Coke. In my heyday I could easily drink at least 2 or 3 liters a day. I drank Coke for breakfast and before I went to bed. My favorite drink was Jack and Coke and a friend once gave me a cook book entitled Classic Cooking with Coca-Cola. I drank Coke when I ate chocolate, potato chips, nuts, or cookies. Everything goes with Coke!

In the last few years I have tried to reduce my Coke intake and think I have done a pretty good job. I try to limit myself to about 3/4 liter per day and usually succeed.

However, a couple of weeks ago A. decided that he was no longer going to drink Coke and encouraged me to think about it too. After all, he told me, think of the calories and money I would save. I was resistant at first, but finally agreed to give it a whirl.

For three days I didn't have so much as one sip of Coke. I drank plenty of milk, water, and even some wine, but no Coke. I had a headache, was tired for no apparent reason, and today I nearly snapped the lady's head off at the book store when I was trying to explain that though I obviously speak English, I wanted Harry Potter in German.

I walked home grouchy and when I got home I was very thirsty. I looked in the fridge with every intention of drinking water, but the Coke was there looking so cold and refreshing... I just couldn't take it anymore! I nearly ripped off the lid and in one long, swift drink drained half the bottle! And let me tell you something, never had a Coke tasted so good and I feel better now than I have in days. Yes, it is true. I admit it: I am addicted to Coke and you know what? I don't care!

No comments: