07 September 2004

Stricken vs. Sticken

Stitching Bloggers' Question of the Week:

How do you explain cross stitch to non-cross stitching people?
Do they get it or do they say "Oh, right.. you do knitting then (or sewing, or needlepoint)?"


I don't try to explain cross-stitch to non-stitching people very often. However, I have lived in Germany for the past 2½ years and when I decided to take cross-stitching back up about a year ago, I quickly learned that I had to figure out a way to explain cross-stitching to people in German so I could find supplies!

I didn't have any trouble finding embroidery floss, but didn't even have the slightest clue as to the word for "cross-stitch" in German, and to make matters worse when I looked in my "Unabridged" German Dictionary the word wasn't even there! Of course, asking my husband (who is a native German speaker) was pointless, because at the time, he barely knew what cross-stitch was. His suggestion was "stricken," which is "knitting!"

One day I was in a very large department store and stumbled upon the sewing department. As luck would have it, they had a decent selection of stitching supplies. Not only did I buy things for my stash that day, I made notes of all the German vocabulary related to stitching that I came across.

At first I thought that "sticken" was the word I was looking for. Not only is "sticken" very close to "stricken" (which of course means I must be careful with my pronunciation so that the store clerks don't get confused), I later learned that "sticken" just means "to embroider." It wasn't until I came across the chart section that I found out that "cross-stitch" in German is "Kreuzstich" and is actually a literal translation (Kreuz = cross; Stich = stitch)! Armed with this knowledge, I now have very little trouble explaining what I do and what I want to store clerks.

Although about a month ago, I did find out the importance of correct pronunciation between "stricken" and "sticken." When I attempted to tell my mother-in-law that I did "sticken," she misunderstood me and offered to buy me a pair of knitting needles!

No comments: