12 September 2004

A Day Late

It seems to me someone is giving me a little bit of crap about my choice of posts yesterday.

After all, yesterday was... you know. I thought about writing something concerning that particular date, but the thing is September 11, 2001 has very different memories for me than it does for most Americans.

See I was on my first vacation with my husband-to-be. We were in New Orleans and we got up around 10:30 am. The first thing we did was turn on the Weather Channel to see if it was going to rain because we were planning a swamp tour that afternoon.

I remember the first thing the weather dude said was, "I repeat, all airports in the United States are closed until further notice."

And my reaction was "What the fuck?!"

We turned over to CNN and that's when we found out. But we were in New Orleans and felt as if we were in another world. The bars on Bourbon Street were still open, the swamp tours were still going, and we were still on vacation. So we continued with our plans and we had a good time.

And so when the anniversary of that day comes along, I tend to keep quiet about my personal memories of that day because I know that it changed the lives of lots of people and I don't want to belittle their feelings of that day with my own pleasant memories.

No comments: