09 September 2004

Viva Cactus!

Tonight is Mexican night at our house. The reason is two-fold:

First, last weekend we were in the mood to eat out and thought Mexican sounded good. So, we went to the pitiful excuse for a Mexican restaurant (called Viva with a cactus mascot, hence the title of the post) in our little town and ordered margaritas and chimichangas that left much to be desired. This is the third time we have tried Mexican in the Munich area and the third time we were disappointed. We came to the conclusion that though I am from the Midwestern United States, at least I have been to Mexico and lived in Texas; therefore I should have a good idea of what Mexican is supposed to taste like and am probably a better Mexican cook than your average German. (Hint: Carrots DO NOT belong in Fajitas!)

Second, we have a lonely bottle of tequila that is just screaming to be drunk, so yesterday when we were at the grocery store I got everything I need to make margaritas, chicken nachos, and homemade salsa. Aahreeba, Aahreeba!

I just finished the salsa and will start on the nachos in a couple of hours. However, if you are interested, here is the recipe for

blondelibrarian Hot and Spicy Salsa

2-6 coarsely chopped tomatoes
Though I love things made from tomatoes, I am not a big whole tomato fan, therefore I use the bare minimum of tomatoes... if you like tomatoes, I would suggest the full number.
1 3/4 cup tomato sauce
6-9 minced garlic cloves
However, I love garlic, so I use the maximum amount... you might choose otherwise.
2 small jalapeƱo chilies, seeded finely chopped
¼ cup finely chopped onion
1/3 cup dry white wine or unsweetened apple juice
I have used both and prefer the wine
¼ cup lemon juice
½ - 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
The hotter you want it, the more pepper you add. :)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Cilantro is also called Coriander leaves.


In medium saucepan, combine all ingredients except cilantro. Bring to a boil over hight heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in cilantro. Ladle mixture into clean jars and cover with tight-fitting lids.

Keeps up to 5 days in the refrigerator.

That's all there is to it! Enjoy!

* * * * * * * * * *

9:30 Update
Hmm... my margaritas didn't really have the desired effect... after drinking approximately 4 of them A. is out like a light!

No comments: