03 March 2004

blondelibrarian on books

Today I had to go to the bookstore to pick up the book for my new class. While I was there I also picked up some fun books (in English) for my train rides on Munich's "not-always-so-pünktlich" S-Bahn into town. I purchased The Princess Bride and Delores Claiborne.

If you are thinking that The Princess Bride sounds familiar, it might be because there is also a movie, which is on the sort of cult level as The Rocky Horror Picture Show and This is Spinal Tap. However, I have never seen the movie of The Princess Bride. I am not sure why. I normally love fantasy movies, some of my favorites are Labyrinth (with David Bowie), Legend (with a very young Tom Cruise), and Ladyhawke (with Michelle Pfeiffer and Matthew Broderick) but this one seems to have slipped by me. Of course once I finish The Princess Bride, I am sure I will have to see if I can locate a copy of the DVD and watch it too.

Delores Claiborne is by Stephen King. I am only a half serious Stephen King fan. Many of his early books are quite good, but I am not so fond of the latest ones and I feel that he has begun to recycle his good plots. From a Buick 8 sounds a lot like Christine to me and Dreamcatcher sounds a lot like It. Delores Claiborne has also been made into a movie, which stars Kathy Bates and Jennifer Jason Leigh. I really like the movie, and from the first 15 or so pages, I think the book looks to be as good (but probably better) as the movie.

As you may have guessed, my favorite book genres are horror and fantasy. :)

No comments: