02 March 2004

Telephones and Trekkies

Today was my first day of class and we practiced telephone conversations. I know in our modern day society we can't avoid telephones and it is a very important, but I hate talking on the telephone even in English! What amazes me in reference to my German language skills is I know what to say and how to formulate it and I speak "perfect" German when I rehearse things in my head, but when I actually speak, things get all muddled and then with my personal reluctance concerning all things telephone, I must sound like a perfect idiot! Oh well. I guess this can only help improve my skills, which is why I am taking this class in the first place.

On another note, this evening I watched Star Trek: The Next Generation. I will publicly confess that I am a bit of a Trekkie... not a hard-core one or anything. I have never been to a Star Trek convention, however, that's not to say I wouldn't go to one, but I digress...

However, as I was watching tonight's episode there was an incident that made the Enterprise go to Red Alert (isn't there always?) and they got hit with some sort of high energy beam (don't they always?) and the ship was jolted, which made the crew stumble, and in the case of Captain Picard and Commander Riker, fall out of their chairs.

Now, here's my question. Do they not have seatbelts in the 24th century? You would think in the utopian future that safety on a spaceship would be paramount, now wouldn't you? Just something to think about...

No comments: