16 March 2004

Desensitized?

I am not totally clueless or oblivious to what's going on you know. But sometimes the news gets on my nerves and I boycott it for a few days or I'm just not sure what to say about things.

For example; the terror attack in Spain. I happened to be news-wise that day and so I knew what had happened. I wasn't sure the ETA was to blame, as was first thought, it just seemed too eerie when I read that it was March 11, 911 days after 9/11, but otherwise I thought that it was sad and horrible. People died, and I express my sympathy to the people whose lives were affected, but I wonder if I am becoming desensitized to these things. A few months ago, there were attacks in Turkey, before that Bali, and before that September 11 (just to name a few) and so when I see (or read) news about another attack, that is what it is becoming for me... just another attack.

No comments: