05 March 2004

Exploiting Tragedy

Yesterday, when I first heard about the new advertisements President Bush is running for his re-election bid, I was prepared to be offended and outraged. After all, not only do I think Bush is a moron who stole the 2000 election, but it sounded to me like he was exploiting 9/11 for his own personal gain.

Here in Europe, for obvious reasons, these ads are not running on my television except for the snippets they are showing on CNN International, so even before I saw the ads I was offended, just on general principle. However, I figured I should at least try to be fair and objective and see the ads. So, I went online and found them. I decided it would be best to go to the source - http://www.georgewbush.com , even though it was a painful thing to do.

After seeing them, my reaction is that I still think Bush is exploiting 9/11 for his own personal gain and I am mildly offended. However, I wasn't nearly as offended as I was prepared to be. Of course I recognize the significance of 9/11; as an American, how can I not? But personally, 9/11 did not really affect my life or those around me in any profound way. Perhaps if I had had a stronger reaction to the tragedy, I would have been more offended, I don't know...

No comments: