16 March 2004

Pledge Battle

I knew that there had been a big commotion about the Pledge of Allegiance in the American classroom and the phrase "under God," but didn't know the details until now. I guess the case is on its way to the Supreme Court.

For those of you who don't know, or need a refresher, the Pledge of Allegiance is as follows:

"I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The Pledge has undergone quite a few changes since its 1892 introduction, with one of the most significant changes in 1954 when the words "under God" were added. It is these words that are at the center of the case that is going to the Supreme Court.

As a kid, I recited the Pledge of Allegiance every day in school from kindergarten until about 4th grade, but I must say, I never really thought about it. It was merely something that we recited in class every day and I never thought about it as patriotic or religious or anything else for that matter.

The only thing I do remember about saying the Pledge of Allegiance was that there was this kid in my class who always put his hand over the middle of his stomach when we said it, as opposed to on top of his heart, where your hand is supposed to go.

No comments: