11 March 2004

Lebensläufe

I have just completed the second week of my "German Business" class. So far, I am pretty pleased. This week we have been working with Lebenläufe (resumes; curriculum vitas) and Bewerbungen (applications). Now this is the sort of practical stuff I had in mind.

You wouldn't think it was so, but a German Lebenslauf is just enough different from its American counterpart that it matters. At first I was a little uncomfortable including some of the required information on my Lebenslauf. For example, on the German Lebenslauf, you are expected to put your birthdate, whether or not you are married, single, etc., and whether or not you have children. In actuality, these things aren't a big deal, but in America those things are just not included on your resume because of anti-discrimination regulations. You are also required to sign your Lebenslauf, which I found kind of odd... that is something I would only do on a letter... however, I was told that this is because some companies use your signature as a sample of your handwriting, which is analyzed!

And I always thought my biggest worry was having to take a piss test... even though I have not heard anything about that here... I don't know if they do them or not.

No comments: