19 March 2004

In-Laws!

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to visit the in-laws I go!

My mother-in-law and I got off on the wrong foot nearly two years ago. It wasn't my fault, really. I came to Germany with my husband of six-weeks and at the time spoke no German. My mother-in-law speaks no English, so from the beginning we had communication problems. In addition, our personalities are, to put it mildly, VERY different and since we couldn't communicate very well (A. was a horrible translator!) our first contact (which lasted six weeks while we - A. and I - found a place to live) was strained, to say the least.

But today, I am in a good mood and every time we go for a visit my German is better, so I am hoping to mend some fences and maybe learn to cook a couple of Austrian dishes in the mean time! Wish me luck...

No comments: