09 March 2004

A Matter of Equality

In my personal opinion, if you are still on the fence about the gay marriage issue, all you need to do is use your common sense. Most of us hope for a world where equality is a fundamental right. But how can we achieve equality if we are denying an institution to two people who love each other and are committed to one another, no matter what their sexual orientation?

I formed an opinion on this topic long before it hit the media. I solidified my stance when I made friends with a committed lesbian couple. It didn't take me long to see that their relationship was as strong and healthy as any I had ever been in. So why shouldn't they marry and be able to enjoy the same rights I have with my husband or raise a family together if they desire? For me, it is just a simple matter of equality.

No comments: